[asterisk-users] Re: Slightly OT:CSU on Digium cards, and it's requirement

Nick Seraphin asterisk at eaglequest.com
Thu Jun 14 14:23:53 CDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, C F wrote:

> On 6/13/07, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/13/07, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is just weird I wrote it in caps so you can read it but you still
> > > didn't read it so here it is again: its a T1 card that does NOT have a
> > > CSU in it, and it is working fine and yes it is a T1 providing PRI.
> >
> > <sarcasm>
> > Dang shmaltz.  You've convinced us - we've all been wasting our
> > precious money on CSUs this whole time.  We're all idiots!
> > </sarcasm>
> >
> > Seriously - if you're so sure about your card not having a CSU, what
> > is the make/model?  Pony up, man.
>
> It's a Panasonic KX-TA0187 for T1, or KX-TA02290
>
> The docs and technicians say it doesn have one AND that the FCC
> requires it. Hence my qeustion does the FCC require it.

I think what he's referring to is really the KX-TD187... which is a T1
interface module for the Panasonic KX-TD1232 Digital Hybrid Phone System
(I have one of these systems, but not the T1 module).

Now there is a KX-TA1232 analog system, and maybe there was a KX-TA187
module for it that has since been discontinued... but I think he meant the
digital one.

http://www.ablecomm.com/t1isdideq.html

They do SAY it doesn't have a CSU... but it's beyond my understanding of
how it could possibly work without one.

They seem to sell a separate "CSU module" that can go with it.  Maybe he's
just not seeing the extra little box because there's more wire between
that and the demarc?

Was this a system that was already installed for you?  Or did you install
it yourself?  Maybe the CSU is external and you just didn't recognize/see
it there?

When I first started working with T1's, most CSU's were external.  I still
have several of them in storage in fact... and I still use external
CSU/DSU's on my production network today. :-)  I'm typing this message and
it will be sent over a T1 connected to 2 external CSU's before it reaches
the internet.

Bottom line is, no matter what the FCC says... and if somehow you managed
to get it to work without a CSU... I believe the phone company would have
a fit if they knew you connected equipment to their network without a CSU
on it.  They're very big on standards-compliance and stuff like that.
Sometime look into their rules and regs about colocating equipment inside
one of their CO's...  it's very very strict.

-- Nick