[asterisk-users] Polycom sip.cfg / voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.request.y.event

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Thu Jun 14 09:00:30 CDT 2007

Lee Jenkins wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My company has pretty much standardized on Polycom phones and I am in
> the beginning phase of writing a GUI for administering/managing polycom
> provisioning at multiple sites which we intend to release as OS.  I've
> started studying the docs and I'm having trouble understanding the
> following xml attribute:
>
> voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.request.y.event
>
> I understand what it does (at least conceptually) but ss the "x"
> variable still referring to a server (1 or 2)?  And the "y" var, what is
> it referring to?  An event?  Which one?
>
> "Determines which events specified with the Event header should be
> validated; only applicable when voIp-
> Prot.SIP.requestValidation.x.request is set to
> “SUBSCRIBE” or
> “NOTIFY”.
> If set to Null, all events will
> be validated."
>
> Please excuse me if it's an obvious question.

Just as a breadcrumb,  here is what Polycom support says of the this
portion of the XML config:

"The voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation parameter is used for validation.
The validation is used for security purposes.  To set it up properly,
you have the following parameters involved which compose the overall
"validation" feature.
The parameters involved are:

voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.request
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.method
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.request.y.event
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.digest.realm

Explanation:

voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.request
With this parameter, you can specify which methods you want the phone to
validate.  The list of methods allowed as values are listed in the Admin
Guide.  Ex: if you wanted to use validation against all INVITES, this
parameter would look like this voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.INVITE.request

voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.method
This parameter defines the method of validation to be used.  The list of
methods allowed as values are listed in the Admin Guide.  The three
methods are source, digest or both.  If you wanted to use source as the
method, the parameter would like this
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.source.method.  This means that when the
phone is using voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.INVITE.request it will
apply voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.source.method and validate that the
INVITE is coming from the IP address specified on its line registration.

voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.request.y.event
This parameter is only used when you specify
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.request to be
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.SUBSCRIBE.request or
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.NOTIFY.request.  This parameter will also
do validation based on the method used on
voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.x.method against the EVENTS within a
“SUBSCRIBE” or “NOTIFY”.  Since the RFC for SIP may have different
events, the list is not provided in the admin guide.  For an updated
list of EVENTS please check the RFC.  A less updated list of EVENTS used
within a NOTIFY is as follows:

conference
dialog
message-summary
presence
refer
reg
winfo

voIpProt.SIP.requestValidation.digest.realm
In this parameter you can specify a string which you have also specified
on your server.  The value can be any valid string.  Once the phone
advertises the string, the server will match it against is list of
allowed users challenging the phone for an user name and password using
authentication digest.  Generally, this string contains the name of the
host performing the authentication."

--

Warm Regards,

Lee