[asterisk-users] Gigabit SIP Phones

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Jun 12 19:07:52 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 16:44 -0700,
asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:56:34 -0500
> From: Darrick Hartman <dhartman at djhsolutions.com>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Gigabit SIP Phones
>         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> Andrew Latham wrote:
> > Oliver
> >
> > The thing you missed about Gigabit enabled SIP hardphones is the
> > demand for them.
>
> Not true.  I can think of several places where I have or would like
> install phones where the end users currently have Gigabit ethernet
> feeds
> to workstations.  Specifically if you are using a high-overhead
> system
> like Quickbooks Point of Sale and need a phone at the same location,
> the
> end users will notice a significant performance hit by dropping them
> down to 100Mbit.
>
> It's not so much that the phone needs Gig, it's that the pass thru
> connection needs gig.

	And if you've got GigE installed, not 10/100Mb, and your LAN doesn't
have a switch that can handle a phone's lower bitrate without bringing
down the whole LAN's rate.

	Also, are there any IP phones that run apps other than telephony, like
video, which could use more than 100Mb, even if just while switching
streams?

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein