[asterisk-users] best format for audio via asterisk...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Jun 11 02:35:50 CDT 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Matthew Pease wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> We are using voicepulse connect & asterisk together.
>
> We'd like to record our own outgoing messages, to be played back
> people that will be dialing into our voicepulse connect supplied DID.
> (am I getting this lingo right?)
>
> What is the best audio format to ensure the highest level of audio quality?

Record them in the best quality you can (eg. 16-bit WAV), then use
something like sox to transcode them into alaw, ulaw, gsm, and whatever
else it can do. (What do people use to trascode into g729?)

Then hopefully asterisk will pick the one with the least CPU cost to
transcode when playing them down the line...

If live transcoding isn't an issue for you then make them all g711 (ulaw
if in the US, alaw elsewhere)

If you don't have a good microphone, etc. then one of the easiest ways to
record, is to use the Record() application built-in to Asterisk. Maybe not
the best quality as it's already gone through a phnoe once, but it's good
enough for testing....

Gordon