[asterisk-users] Best Codec

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 11:30:15 CDT 2007

> I'm wary of using g711 of public broadband networks.
> It'd be interesting to see some comparisons or comments from
> people using g726 as this does seem to be supported by quite
> a few hardware devices.

We are using g711 pretty much exclusively for all residential
customers in the US and it worked out well for us. For those with very
slow DSL connections in rural areas (128 kbps up / 256 kbps down) we
use 40 ms packets as 20 ms packets still used two ATM frames and hence
the overhead was rather large. If that fails, we found g726-32 to be a
good alternative. Voice quality is almost as good as g711 (a bit
duller), music is acceptable. Transcoding overhead is low, many ATAs
support it, and the bandwidth (with overhead) is about 40 kbit/sec.
It's a good alternative, IMO.

--Luki