[asterisk-users] Noise on FXS ports (Sangoma)

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Fri Jun 8 08:40:30 CDT 2007

John Novack wrote:
> In this troubleshooting case, it probably is better that there is NO
> dialtone, which would make the hiss easier to hear.
> I am curious what the OP found
> When Asterisk is stopped, does the hiss continue?

That's tough to assess because the other problem I have had with it is
that, often, after restarting wanrouter, I lose talk battery on one of
the two FXS ports. If I restart it enough times, I can get it back;
alternatively, if I place a call *to* the port, it will sometimes ring
and then I have talk battery and dial tone. But I've never heard the
noise *without* first hearing a dial tone.

To solve that problem I've been using the beta driver from Sangoma
(because that is what is recommended on the wiki) but I've been asked to
revert to a stable driver. I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

> That would help to narrow down the location of the problem

Does it matter, really? I mean -- whether or not Asterisk activates it,
the dial tone is still generated by the card/module; I think that would
be a red herring.

> It sure sounds to me as if it is a hardware problem within the card or
> even the module, rather than on the PCI bus or within Asterisk

Well, I doubt it's the module, as we've already replaced it once.

It might be the card. Sangoma is suggesting the noise is coming into the
card from the mainboard.

-Stephen-