[asterisk-users] Best Codec

Ricardo Martins rpoppi77 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:31:23 CDT 2007

We use G.729. Consumes only 35kbps of bandwidth and has a level 4 (from
0 to 5) of voice quality. We still have very poor public data networks
here in Brazil that makes G.711 a very high bandwith consunption codec
for us.

Another point that is good for G.729 is that we can bridge calls from
customers to SIP-terminators (most/all of them uses g729)  without the
need to transcode and licence the channels for asterisk (passthrough).

Rgds, Ricardo Martins.