[asterisk-users] DUNDi and reinvites...

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Thu Jun 7 12:25:59 CDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Douglas Garstang <DGarstang at interainc.com> wrote:
> If I am using DUNDi for redundancy in a cluster, when Phone1 makes a call to
> Phone2, both Asterisk A and B will be in the RTP stream:

Correct so far... although once the call is made, it's no longer a
DUNDi question, and is simply a signalling question.  (In other words,
DUNDi is used for Phone 1 to figure out how to connect to Phone 2, but
after it's figured that out, it's a normal SIP or IAX call between
Asterisk A and Asterisk B.)

> Is there a way configure re-invites in this situation so that either
> Asterisk A or B drops out of the call, and there's only one Asterisk box
> between Phone1 and Phone2? Like this…

Yes, as long as the protocols are all the same.  If Phone1 is talking
SIP to Asterisk A and Asterisk A is talking IAX to Asterisk B and
Asterisk B is talking SIP to Phone 2, then it won't happen.  But
assuming everything is using the same transport, they'll happen.  In
fact, if re-invites are enabled on both Asterisk servers, and the two
phones can communicate directly, you can re-invite *both* Asterisk
servers out of the middle of the call.

-Jared