[asterisk-users] Noise on FXS ports (Sangoma)

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Jun 6 14:44:13 CDT 2007

Since the OP said the noise was on FXS ports, Jorge's answer isn't relevant.
After listening to  a wav file of the noise, it sounds to my old ears
like a background hiss or so called "comfort" noise, except for a couple
of short pops which I assume to be an open microphone.

Assuming this isn't generated by the POTS set connected to the port, I
guess you'll have to dig into the configuration.
Some POTS sets generate a similar though more erratic noise, caused by
carbon transmitters and defective varistors in the network, but that is
ancient history.
More modern POTS sets with electret transmitters could certainly
generate a similar noise.
I am assuming that several different sets have been tried with similar
results.

My experience with the Sangoma A200, and in fact Digium 400 and Adtran
channel bank FXS circuits all are very quiet, so this is a bit of a puzzle.

John Novack