[asterisk-users] Strange beeping sound during fax initiate session

Philipp Ott philipp.ott at avalon.at
Tue Jun 5 08:16:15 CDT 2007

Hello!

We have a strange problem, which doesnt let us receive faxes, because
during the initial fax whistling there are suddenly some background
beeps showing up, which then naturally disable any successfull fax
transfer, and we cant figure out which service or device (cisco,
asterisk) is responsible for these beep-sounds.

Calls go from EuroISDN PSTN (E1) into a Cisco 5300, which is
configured for voice service mode, g711alaw and has a dial peer
called asterisk, to which it sends SIP calls preceeding some number
match.

Asterisk 1.2.16 receives a msg and usually responds with a ConnectTo
(xyznumber) msg telling the Cisco 5300 what do to. The xyz-Number is
most of the time our IVR system with NMS cards for voice-recording,
voice-menus, call managment and fax send & receive, but some calls go
back to PSTN and terminate in a fax machine.

Voice works fine. DTMF detection and handling in our IVR solutions
works like a charm.

If I reroute PSTN calls past Cisco+Asterisk directly into another E1
trunk on the NMS cards we can receive fax fine without a problem. So
on the IVR solution I m very confident that there is no problem.

However faxes fail to pass through the Cisco+Asterisks territory.
Unfortunately I m not at the liberty to connect "some other
equipment" at the Cisco and check it, this particular 5300 is always
calling our asterisk and gets a ConnectTo() back how to handle the
incoming call.

Although these details are very limited, have you ever seen a similar
problem in a comparable environment? You call by PSTN into a Cisco
5300 who asks Asterisk what to do, then gets you connect to a fax
machine and then you hear the initial tones and then after a few
seconds there are beeps (which disrupt naturally the fax protocol)?
Found a solution for it?

Regards
Philipp Ott