[asterisk-users] FX Dialing Odd

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Jun 4 07:57:40 MST 2007

Rob Schall wrote:
> Here's a possible bug, or more likely, I'm just missing something.
>
> We have a pots card in one of our asterisk boxes. Its a simple asterisk setup with one FXO/FXS card and basic static extensions file, etc. When we dial out over the pots line, 4 out of 5 times, it will work. However,every 4 or 5 times, we get an error back from the provider that says "The number you have dialed..... blah blah blah".
Common defect in the Zaptel driver.
It does NOT listen for dial tone, so if you have not inserted a "w" or
three into the dial string, it will dial before the Central Office is
ready, and it may miss a digit, causing misdials.

Curious that cheap modems years ago learned to listen for dial tone,
but  the Zaptel driver doesn't, and of course this is considered a
"feature request" rather than a bug, and no one seems to want to fix it.

John Novack