[asterisk-users] Wireless IP Phone with external Telephone Book

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Jun 4 06:45:37 MST 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Tobias Wolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are searching for wireless IP Phones (DECT preferred) with have an
> solution for an external telephone book. We don't want to enter all of
> our numbers into every telephone, but have one location for all the
> numbers and every phone looks them up there, e.g. an ldap server.
>
> We have tried Kirk but they are working on an solution without any
> information when it will be available.
>
> Does anyone knows an vendor which supports this feature ?

Since you're using them with asterisk (this is the asterisk-users list
after-all :), why not implement it in asterisk? Asterisk even has the
voice prompts already for it too, so someone's obviously though about it
in the past...

And this is exactly what I do in my systems, and the beauty is that it's
completely phone independant. You could have DECT phones, desk phones, WiFi
phones, soft phones, etc. all sharing the same phone-book.

Sure, it's not as neat as an in-phone solution (you can't easilly scroll
through the list on the phone), but it's universal over all phone types.

I implement a per-extension phone book, and a system phone book which
everyone has. And with a web interface, you can associate a name to the
number, then incoming caller-id works too, as long as the phone has a good
display.

Heres a working example from some old code I wrote - which I'm sure I got
off a web page (or the book) once upon a time in the past. (The list
commands here won't work with Siemens SIP/DECT phones as they won't let
you dial a trailling star, it's a # in the latest incarnation) This is
only 10 numbers per phone, but it's easy to change for more (eg. *000
through *099 for personal ones, or *100 through *199 for system ones -
left as an excercise to the reader ;-)

Gordon

;======================================================================
; Personal speed-dial:
;       Let the user assign a personal speed dial code
;       From *00 through *09
;======================================================================

;    Setup: *0 then a single digit 0-9 then the phone number to store at that
location

exten => _*0X.,1,Answer()
exten => _*0X.,n,Set(me=${CALLERID(num)})
exten => _*0X.,n,Set(pos=${EXTEN:2:1})
exten => _*0X.,n,Set(num=${EXTEN:3})
exten => _*0X.,n,Set(DB(${me}/sd${pos})=${num})
exten => _*0X.,n,SayDigits(${num})
exten => _*0X.,n,playback(at)
exten => _*0X.,n,playback(position)
exten => _*0X.,n,SendText(*0${pos}=${num})
exten => _*0X.,n,SayDigits(${pos})
exten => _*0X.,n,Macro(starAck)

;    List:              *0X*

exten => _*0X*,1,Answer()
exten => _*0X*,n,Set(me=${CALLERID(num)})
exten => _*0X*,n,Set(pos=${EXTEN:2:1})
exten => _*0X*,n,Set(num=${DB(${me}/sd${pos})})
exten => _*0X*,n,GotoIf(${num}?:noNum)
exten => _*0X*,n,SendText(*0${pos}=${num})
exten => _*0X*,n,SayDigits(${num})
exten => _*0X*,n,playback(at)
exten => _*0X*,n,playback(position)
exten => _*0X*,n,SayDigits(0${pos})
exten => _*0X*,n,Hangup()
exten => _*0X*,n(noNum),playback(that-number)
exten => _*0X*,n,playback(is-not-in-the)
exten => _*0X*,n,playback(speed-dial)
exten => _*0X*,n,playback(system)
exten => _*0X*,n,Hangup()

;    Recall and dial:   *0X

exten => _*0X,1,Answer()
exten => _*0X,n,Set(me=${CALLERID(num)})
exten => _*0X,n,Set(pos=${EXTEN:2:1})
exten => _*0X,n,Set(num=${DB(${me}/sd${pos})})
exten => _*0X,n,GotoIf(${num}?:noNum)
exten => _*0X,n,SendText(Calling: ${num})
exten => _*0X,n,Goto(${num},1)