[asterisk-users] zaptel on CENTOS servercd

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Mon Jun 4 06:37:29 MST 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> One comment if I may:
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Linux+Centos does need some
> cleanup. Let alone merging of the two separate procedures and an update.
>
> Also:
>
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 06:22:57PM -0400, Lee Jenkins wrote:
>> Khaled Chehab wrote:
>>> I suffered a lot from installing zaptel 1.4.2 on centos servercd ,Sure
>>> there
>>> is someone did that, Please in need to have the installation procedure step
>>> by step. Its too urgent for me .
>>>
>>> Thanks alot
>>>

>> These scripts are working pretty well for me.  They are based on a
>> script I found on the wiki.
>>
>> # Script to download pre reqs for installation
>> # ==============================================
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> rpm --import http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-4
>
> Isn't this done by the installer?

I don't think so because the scripts (yum) would fail without it.  I'm
using Centos 4.4 final if it makes a difference.

>> yum -y install kernel-source bison openssl-devel
>
> Why do you need kernel-source?  I know it is fun do download some extra
> 40Gigs, but apart from that, the kernel-devel / kernel-smp-devel is all
> you need to build zaptel. (likewise linux-headers-`uname -r` on
> Debian/Ubuntu )

Frankly, I am just following a script that I found on the wiki and I'm
pretty new to linux still.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+Linux+Centos

>> yum -y update
>>
>> # Use "kernel-devel"  instead of "kernel-smp-devel"
>> # if not a SMP machine
>> # ========================|==============|
>>                           |              |
>> yum -y install gcc kernel kernel-smp-devel bison openssl-devel
>
> Hmmm.... you install kernel, but kernel-*smp*-devel . Strange
> ocmbination.
>
> Why not simply 'yum update' to get the latest kernel, if needed? This
> will upgrade either 'kernel' or 'kernel-smp', depending on the installed
> package.
>
> If you don't need a kernel upgrade you don't need the following:
>
>> shutdown -r now
>>
>> # end script

Thanks for the critique, Tzafrir.  I will make these changes and try
them out.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee