[asterisk-users] wifi sip phone real-world experiences?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Jun 3 13:39:42 MST 2007

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Alex Crow wrote:

> Did you look at this one?
>
> No frills, specs look good, price seems excellent!
>
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=369519

That's a UT StarCom F1000G ...

I have one of those phones and it's not very good - certianly can't handle
roaming between APs on the same networks at all. It's still firmly in the
"toy" category for me, I've *never* subject my paying clients to it!

> We're thinking of buying a couple for communication between our IT team
> members across 5 floors in 2 buildings.

Forget it and get a SIP based DECT phone with proper DECT repeaters. Look
at the Siemens range. I'm using the C460IP's and range coverage with a
single wall mounted base unit is 10x better than WiFi. Repeaters are
avalable to extend the range too, and it all "just works".

Or just get a decent contract on your mobile phones and use them with a
GSM base unit with a SIM on the same contract. (to enable desk phone to
mobile communcation at the contract rate and vice versa) I've used this:

   http://www.westlake.co.uk/Cellroute_GPRS_GSM_Fixed_Cellular_Terminal_gateway.htm

with good results, although it's analogue, it does the job and is cheap
enough for most small systems.

Gordon