[asterisk-users] click to call

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Jun 2 01:09:23 MST 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Anton Krall wrote:

> So Guys, no go on this topic?

I trialled a click-to-dial application recently. It generated a lot of
controversy on the list (search the archives) because various people said
it couldn't be done/wouldn't work, etc. Then there were whinges about the
commercial nature of the application (it's licensed, not free, and details
were being posted to the -users list) and so on. Personally, I didn't see
why as the creators of the code were simply replying to questions asked by
list members, however...

(That's probably why you've not gotten many replies ;-)

So the thing I trialled was a button on a web page which downlaoded a
soft-phone program written in Java to your browser. The soft-phone uses
the IAX protocol to connect to an asterisk server, then depending on the
javascript that you write to encapsulate the button on the web page, you
have the ability to specify username & password (to authenticate back to
the asterisk server) and number to dial - the number you dial could even
be entered via more javascript on the webpage, and the asterisk server at
the back-end can then do what it needs to do with the number - dial an
extension in a "closed" system, or even initiate a dial-out to the PSTN,
if the server as such a connection and the connection is authorised. The
end-user pushing the button doesn't need to see any of this at all - it
can all be embedded in the javascript behind the button.

You can specify callerId too, or dial different numbers, so the person
answering the call could use this information to know what web page you
are on for example. You can even embed it into an email signature with a
different number then you could tell if they are calling you in reply to
an email, and so on. (And much as I hate big HTML based email signatures,
if done correctly this could be quite effective - and it doesn't need to
download the Java - about 120KB until you click on the button)

(They have a demonstration client which works with the Tesco VoIP service
- you enter your Tesco username/password, then get a phone application
with buttons, etc. The Tesco VoIP system unusually uses IAX rather than
SIP as their transport mechanism!)

I tried the application on a WinXP box, Linux box and Mac, and as long as
the sound system was setup to work with the headset & microphone, it "just
worked" - At last, Java doing what it was supposed to be doing, working
correctly cross platform!

Some of the whinges to the list were that a soft-phone couldn't possibly
be written in Java as Java was too heavyweight - well, this is the latter
part of the first decade of the new millennium and Java has come a long way
since it was first released, and they couldn't be further from the truth -
in use on my 2GHz Linux box, it was using about 2-3% CPU, and at 120KB to
download, is no worse than your average mid-resolution camera image these
days.

If this is what you're after, then go to

   http://www.mexuar.com/products_connect.shtml

They were happy to give me a time-limited trial of the software, which I
used, and found worked really well. You will need to write some html and
javascript to encapsulate it into your own web page, but that's not hard
to do and examples are provided.

Now all I need is some clients to sell it to ;-)

Gordon