[asterisk-users] Scaling Asterisk: Dual-Core CPUs not yieldinggains at high call volumes

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:24:50 MST 2007

On 01/06/07, Douglas Garstang <DGarstang at interainc.com> wrote:
> I previously worked for a company that did some heavy load testing with
> Asterisk on multiple core Sun systems. We saw that no matter how many
> cores you threw at Asterisk, it always used ONE core to process calls,
> even at very high loads.

This is definitely not true in the general case.  But using IAX2 prior
to 1.4 does have a limit like that because all network traffic is
handled in a single thread.

Take a core dump of a working Asterisk box and count all the threads.
There's no general lack of multi-threadedness, that's for sure.

Steve