[asterisk-users] SIP & NAT ...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Jun 1 06:45:17 MST 2007

So I thought I had SIP and NAT cracked a long time ago, but something's
just happened that's sort of upset the cart )-:

I have an * box behind a NAT firewall. Nothing unusual there, this is
something I've done many times - sip.conf has the correct

   nat=
   localnet=
   externip=

settings, the router has ports 5060-5069 and 10000-20000 forwarded to the
internal IP address of the * box. (and 4569 for IAX, but we're just using
SIP here)

The * server has a few internal (LAN) and external SIP phones, but also
has 2 SIP connections to an external PSTN provider. I don't know what this
is as I don't have any control or access to it, but both go to the same IP
address with different account details (username/passwords)

Both these SIP -> external PSTN provider connections register OK on the *
box, and outgoing calls placed over either connection works perfectly.
Outgoing callerId (set by the external provider) works as expected. ) I
have dialling prefixes for each 'line', nothing special there, that side
of it all works as expected.

The problem is that only the last one in the sip.conf file actually
accepts incoming calls when dialled from the PSTN side. (They have
different PSTN phone numbers) If I swap their entries over in the sip.conf
file, then the other one takes the calls.

When dialling the first number, nothing seems to get through to the * box
at all - nothing on the console in verbose mode, nothing in the log-file.

The 2 SIP account setups are otherwise identical (generated by a web
interface), just the usenrname & password differing, and the account name.

Anyone seen this before?

I'm wondering if it's an issue with the rotuter (Draytek 2800 ADSL), or is
there an issue with 2 SIP channels to the same external IP address (port
clash?) I've tried with & without bindport= settings in the sip.conf file
too - doesn't make any difference.

Any clues appreciated!

Gordon