No subject

Thu Jul 12 09:23:04 CDT 2007

such file or directory" on pure-IP platform in which I installed
asterisk-libpri-dahdi trilogy.

Maybe, it's me while following README instructions, maybe README
instructions could be improved or maybe it's wrongly labeled messages ?
That's why I told myself : I'm waiting too much from doc ? is a pure-IP
platform too specific ? what is the official policy ?

README starts with "check hardware compliance".
So maybe, the policy is to have a "somehow functional system with any of
mentioned compliant hardware, with all enhancements such as running as
non-root, set apart".

> > As I'm not very familiar with module concepts at the moment, I told
> myself
> > it would be helpful, if strictly following instructions included in
> README
> > files, I did get a system that starts without any ERROR message of any
> kind
> > and still could provide some basic telephony services.
> >
> > So my question is :
> > - is there a policy fixing the target of README files ?
> > - for example, if someone installs Asterisk (according README files) on a
> > platform equipped with a Digium analog board, should this board be
> > automatically discovered, configured and ready to run ?
>
> Not yet:
>
> # which modules to load: a temporary workaround

That's the point : if optimizing modules load could be postponed to a later
stage, that would be better, IMHO, as installing from source is already a
long process.

> # dahdi_modules is a simple two-liner scrippt that is currently not
> # installed by default. I figure I should get that functionality added
> # to dahdi_genconf
> dahdi_modules >/etc/dahdi/modules
> /etc/init.d/dahdi start
> # generate /etc/dahdi/system.conf and /etc/asterisk/dahdi-channels.conf
> dahdi_genconf
> dahdi_cfg
>
> # edit chan_dahdi.conf accordingly. e.g.:
> echo '#include dahdi-channels.conf' >>/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf
>
> # apply changes: start/restart asterisk, or:
> asterisk -rx 'dahdi restart'

IMHO, setting a policy would help to guide efforts of many people involved.
That done, maybe we would conclude an interactive script would be the
missing piece to incorporate user choices that are hard to default to.

> --
>               Tzafrir Cohen
> icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com<jabber%3Atzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>
> +972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
> http://www.xorcom.com  iax:guest at local.xorcom.com/tzafrir

------=_Part_97736_32562651.1228213031240

&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Testing latest 1.6.1, it occurred to me I had to add a couple of noload<br>
&gt; statements in /etc/asterisk/modules.conf to remove ERROR messages, when<br>
&gt; starting Asterisk.<br>
&gt; (I don&#39;t imply those ERROR messages were fatal to Asterisk but as a general<br>
&gt; rule, I tried to start Asterisk without any of those).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; As I&#39;m not very familiar with module concepts at the moment, I told myself<br>
&gt; it would be helpful, if strictly following instructions included in README<br>
&gt; files, I did get a system that starts without any ERROR message of any kind<br>
&gt; and still could provide some basic telephony services.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; So my question is :<br>
&gt; - is there a policy fixing the target of README files ?<br>
&gt; - for example, if someone installs Asterisk (according README files) on a<br>
&gt; platform equipped with a Digium analog board, should this board be<br>
&gt; automatically discovered, configured and ready to run ?<br>
# dahdi_modules is a simple two-liner scrippt that is currently not<br>
# installed by default. I figure I should get that functionality added<br>
# to dahdi_genconf<br>
dahdi_modules &gt;/etc/dahdi/modules<br>
/etc/init.d/dahdi start<br>
# generate /etc/dahdi/system.conf and /etc/asterisk/dahdi-channels.conf<br>
dahdi_genconf<br>
dahdi_cfg<br>
# edit chan_dahdi.conf accordingly. e.g.:<br>
echo &#39;#include dahdi-channels.conf&#39; &gt;&gt;/etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf<br>
# apply changes: start/restart asterisk, or:<br>
--<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Tzafrir Cohen<br>