[asterisk-users] Connecting GSM Phone to Asterisk Box

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:15:15 CDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Jeng Yu <jengyu2007 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a telephony project for which I need
> to build a prototype to demo for management.
> The prototype must work on a GSM phone network.
>
> In the demo system, a call from GSM phone comes
> into the demo box. The demo box runs CallWeaver.
> Callweaver picks up the GSM call, answers it and
> plays a sould file, then dials out to a second GSM
> phone somewhere and connects them so they talk.
>
> My question are these:
>
> 1. Is this a job for Callweaver/asterisk system?
>
> 2. if not, what package out there would handle this?
>
> I was reading the Asterisk doc and it mentions that
> a modem could be used with an Asterisk system, but
> does not show how it can be configured to function in
> the system. Does anyone here know how?

There are various PCI and Ethernet GSM interfaces that should work with
Asterisk. These would be your best choice in terms of reliability and
performance for a production system. It wouldn't hurt to have a fixed,
semi-directional, antenna pointed to the tower either.

I wouldn't recommend for a production system, but you can also use a GSM ->
Analog adapter such as the "CellDock" or "DockNTalk" I think some people
call this "Tellular" and also somewhere is chan_bluetooth which allows you
to place calls through a bluetooth mobile.