[asterisk-users] Royalty for On Hold Music ?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Tue Jul 31 16:22:20 CDT 2007

Quoting John Millican <jmillican at sentinelcommunications.com>:

there are plenty of radio stations with internet feeds of their audio,
piping that in would not change any coverage area since anyone with
internet could listen anywhere already, you're only providing that to
the listener through a phone handset instead of a computer speaker,
which amounts to just another audio device controlled by an internet
connected computer.

What if the radio is on in the background when I make a call ? is that
rebroadcasting ? kind of gets blurry on the definitions there.

> On Tuesday July 31 2007 4:44 pm, Joe acquisto wrote:
>> . . .
>>
>> > Even if you can find non-original-artist recordings of such music, the
>> > *compositions* are registered with BMI and ASCAP, and you'll need
>> > blanket licenses to play them.  (Well, if you only wanted one or two
>> > tracks, you might negotiate specific licenses, but I'm not sure it
>> > would be cheaper.)
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > -- jra
>>
>> So, if, for instance, someone were to "pipe in" some broadcast stations,
>> for MOH, that would be a copyright violation?
>>
>> Not that I know how to do that, with *, off the top of my head.
>>
>> joe a
>>
> IANAL or even close to one.  Just grabbing the music form a broadcast station
> and rebroadcasting is technically illegal, at least in the US.  What I have
> been told is that you would first have to check with the broadcast station,
> sign an agreement with them, and depending on the scope of their coverage, as
> in geographic, you might be able to use their station.  It is my
> understanding that radio stations pay a license fee based on the
> coverage/market area. You may have to pay them the difference between what
> they pay for the coverage of the station and the global coverage that a PBX
> could potentially have.
> As a side note there have been several examples posted in the past of how to
> "pipe in" a music source.
>
> JohnM

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com