[asterisk-users] Problems using TE412P and TDM400B in a IBM x3650

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:13:06 CDT 2007

Another day, another apparant unexplained hardware incompatibility.

I have a TE412P and a TDM400B living quite happily in a whitebox using an
Intel motherboard:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/se7230nh1-e/index.htm

I tried to move to an IBM x3650 system.  It uses a slightly newer chipset,
but apparantly it's in the same family.  The SE-7230 board has been EOL'd
and the suggested replacement uses the same chipset as the x3650.  I had to
get a PCI-X riser cage to put the cards into, as the server only supports
PCIe as shipped.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/rack/x3650/specs.html

When I just have the TE412P in the server, no problems.  If I put both the
TE412P and the TDM400B in, I get no end of errors.  When I put the TE412P in
the first PCI-X slot and the TDM400B in the second, then none of my PRI
channels will get out of red alarm - they go red as soon as I load zaptel,
and stay there through ztcfg, starting asterisk, restarting zaptel via the
Asterisk CLI, etc.

If I swap the cards, then only one of the ports (#4) stays in red alarm,
while the other 3 seem to be fine.

I checked /proc/interrupts, and both cards were getting their own interrupt
(forgot to save the output unfortunately, and I'm back on the original
hardware right now).

Has anyone run this type of hardware combo successfully, or had similar
problems on other hardware that they got around?

Thanks

--
j.