[asterisk-users] Royalty for On Hold Music ?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jul 31 14:05:32 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 01:37:00PM -0500, voiplist wrote:
> I have done this in the past and I don't recall ever finding any
> "popular" music by "popular" artist.
>
> For example, if I wanted to play oh I don't know an original song
> performed by the original artist such as Nora Jones or The Beatles
> will I find this sort of thing at a Royalty Free Site?

Certainly not.

:-)

Even if you can find non-original-artist recordings of such music, the
*compositions* are registered with BMI and ASCAP, and you'll need
blanket licenses to play them.  (Well, if you only wanted one or two
tracks, you might negotiate specific licenses, but I'm not sure it
would be cheaper.)

Cheers,
-- jra