[asterisk-users] Zaptel channel reservation

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Jul 31 08:42:13 CDT 2007

Jack wrote:

> Actually I preferred to reserve the channels in asterisk, but this seems
> to be the easiest way.
>
> Does anybody know if the mapping from telco channels to zap channels is
> fixed? Is the first telco channel always mapped to the first zap channel
> or is this mapping dynamic?

You really can't "reserve" a channel in Asterisk in that way.  In 1.2 (I
don't know about 1.4) Asterisk cannot request that an incoming call be
moved to a different channel.

Telcos will send calls to you in any number of patterns.

Hunt from the bottom of the hunt group up
Hunt from the top of the hunt group down
Longest Idle
Shortest Idle
Round Robin, up
Round Robin, down.

The last 4 hunting patterns are most useful when dealing with analog
lines, and not PRIs.  In The Good Old Days modems would sometimes lock
up and so you would want round robin or longest idle hunting.

As I said, you must talk to your telco to request the hunting type you need.

At my customers we have the telco hunt from the lowest channel to the
highest channel.

We send our calls out from asterisk from the highest channel to the
lowest channel - Dial(Zap/G1/whatever)

With Asterisk "glare" can happen even on PRIs -- Glare is when the PBX
and the telco both try to use the same channel for a call at the same time.

Telco -> Port 2 on TE400P -In this case then the telco channels will be
Zap channels 25 - 48

Telco -> Port 1 on TE400P -In this case the telco channels will be Zap
channels 1 - 24