[asterisk-users] Asterisk Wiki

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 10:15:26 CDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 06:26 -0700, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> > For example: what is the best (shortest) way to search
> > for information related to the command playbak()?

> I find that the fastest and most up-to-date information regarding the
> dialplan applications is the online help in the Asterisk CLI.  For
> example, type "core show application Playback" at the Asterisk CLI, and

I haven't looked at 1.4 but in 1.2 the quality is wildly variable.
Some of the apps have descriptions that read like assembly langauge
comments:

ADD    A,B    ; add A to B

Dial is an exception, it has everything you need to know right there.
Someone should probably take a look at every app and make sure the
description is enlightening. Another idea would be to include a unique
ID in that CLI output that could be used to build a URL that gave a
man page like listing.