[asterisk-users] Nufone problems

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Jul 27 16:04:50 CDT 2007

> <quote who="C F">
> > Why is their DNS failing?
>
> Looks like ns1 is down.  Probably their master DNS server.
> ns2 is up, but looks like their zone expired, since it could not refresh
> from ns1, so it is no longer reporting authoritative for nufone.net.
>
> They should look into longer expiry times on their SOA record.

Nufone seems to have a lot of DNS problems.

Several years ago, when their domain expired with their registrar, I
pointed out that GoDaddy was a bad choice of registrars to begin with,
for a variety of reasons.  They're great if you want some cheap domain
name and hosting for your personal blog.  However, for commercial
enterprises, they're actually dangerous, as they have some "anti-spam"
policies which allow GoDaddy to turn off your domain if you appear
(note the specific word, "appear") to be involved with spam.

I suggested at that time that I had trouble accepting as serious a phone
provider who could not take reasonable steps to guarantee ongoing
Internet DNS visibility, since DNS resolvability is necessary for VoIP.

I suggested at the time that they should become an OpenSRS reseller, and
turn on auto-renew, renew for as many years as possible (10 in the case
of .net), and they'd have much less to worry about on the unexpected-
domain-expiration front.

However, this is far from the only step that you need to take to ensure
continued DNS resolution on the Internet.  Increased values in the SOA
are okay, but better yet is not using master/secondary configurations
(which are, admittedly, incredibly convenient).  Working out some SSH
copy-and-restart magic is better.  Monitoring logs for DNS system failures
is better.  Having more than two DNS servers, and having all of them be
masters, that would be excellent.

Things like DNS are part of what make up the electronic foundation for
your Internet based business.  It's easy to make mistakes, but there's
good advice to be had on how to correct it.

... JG