[asterisk-users] Redundancy / Failover

Norman Franke norman at myasd.com
Fri Jul 27 14:14:02 CDT 2007

Noah,

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the problem with the stop
gracefully is that it would confuse the auto fail-over appliance, in
that it would either detect the server is dead and hard switch the
T1s or keep sending calls there which Asterisk would reject.

I'm thinking a better method may be the fail-over switch coupled with
some logic in the client and server, perhaps using SIP NOTIFY to
inform clients they should disconnect when idle, and reconnect to the
specified alternate server. Once everyone is off, then taking that
box down and upgrading. Asterisk supports SIP NOTIFY, so that may be
the most workable.

-Norman

> Hi Norman -
>
>>> To add to what Edgar said, yes, use linux-ha.  It works nicely in
>>> combination with DRBD.  DRBD uses a dedicated network interface on
>>> each box with a crossover cable between the two.  It does a block
>>> level copy of the entire filesystem, so you have two machines
>>> that are
>>> identical.  The you use the linux-ha heartbeat to monitor the OS and
>>> asterisk.  If anything goes wrong, it can fail over to the second