[asterisk-users] Newbie Advice on Asterisk and Linux

Mark Burrows burrows.mark at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:08:36 CDT 2007

HI All,

I’m new to Asterisk and also to Linux.  I have a large IVR project that I’m
about to embark on.  I’m new to programming; new to Linux and new to
Asterisk.  I think I’m about to climb a steep learning curve.  I have an
existing IVR which is getting on for nine years old and is no longer
supported by my vendor.  I intend to replicate the system almost as is and
then add additional features and functions.

I have been looking for a developer to put together my project and while
doing so have done lots of research and spoken to many people.  The people
who seem to understand my needs have recommended Asterisk.  For the last
couple of days I’ve been trying to look into Asterisk and learn as much as I
can; this has got me excited, motivated and a little confused. Asterisk
sounds like a great project and a great community.  I think I have as much
of an overview as I can.  Now I need to set up a Linux system and get
Asterisk running on it.

I’ve started to read the book Asterisk: The Future Of Telephony and would
like to now setup up a hobby computer to do some hands on learning.  The
book covers Red Hat Linux so I thought I’d look for a ‘Red Had for Dummies’
book.  Even that got confusing. There’s Linux Fedora, Enterprise Linux 4 and
others.

Can someone suggest a starting point on learning Linux?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:56 AM