[asterisk-users] SNOM vs. SNOM INDIA (was: phone directory with asterisk)

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Wed Jul 25 09:23:39 CDT 2007

Am Dienstag, den 24.07.2007, 11:26 -0500 schrieb John Faubion:
> > To prevent further missunderstanding please do not refer the SI-120
> as a snom
> > phone. If you need support please contact snom India.
>
> Tim,
>
> If it is sold by snom India, and one is to contact snom India, I can
> certainly see how one could infer that it is indeed a snom phone.
>
> John

The trouble with this distinction seems to be that snom india sells
phones as the "snom 300" and similars that seem to be the same that
people know as "snom" phones in Europe. The "SI" phones, as far as I can
tell, are a separate line of products for entry-level users, probably
rather cheap and probably not developed by the European snom AG.

Details can be found on http://www.snomindia.com/

So there are phones that are both "snom" and "snom india" and others
that are India-Only and sold by the model names SI-90 and SI-120.

For simplicity sake, I myself will try to refer to the European snom
phones as "snom 300 series" or similar, and -if applicable- call the
snom India products (SI-90, SI-120) by their model names.

This misunderstanding made me learn that there are not only highly
sophisticated, want-to-have "snom" devices out there, but also phones
that probably compete with the Budgetone 200 and Allnet ALL7950 (both of
which I have and know their limits).

To add something to the original topic though: The voice-/DTMF-based
directory() app should work with any SIP (soft)phone or Zap devices.

You will probably have no influence to the SI-90 phone display though
for delivering a text-based phone number lookup feature. If someone
wants this, he or she should be ready to buy one of the more expensive
Snom 300 series devices.

Best regards,

Anselm