[asterisk-users] app_changrab, replacement for meetme and conference: returning to dialplan

Knud Müller k.mueller at portrix.net
Mon Jul 23 10:49:16 CDT 2007

Hi all,

there is an application called changrab with quite interesting capabilities:
http://www.freeswitch.org/asterisk_stuff/app_changrab.c
I think it is available in the 1.4 version by default!?

This application can connect to channels which are already UP. The only
possibility AFAIK to connect channels after they are UP are the well
known conferencing applications meetme and conference. If you have a lot
of conferences these apps have quite a performance impact and others
pitfalls as well.

Therefore we already looked for a replacement and found changrab which
can connect two channels and thats all we need. Changrab works well. But
if one of the (two) channels connected by ChanGrab hangs up, the other
channels is hung up too (which is undesired). We like to keep the
channel up and do something else in the dialplan.
As I'm not too familiar with the asterisk internals I have problems to
interprete the sources, but I think it might be in the method:

static int changrab_exec

in Line 131 which is

		res = ast_bridge_call(chan, newchan, &config);
		ast_hangup(newchan);

I have no clue if ast_bridge_call blocks until some statechange happens and ast_hangup hangs up which would lead to the undesired behavior!?

Maybe someone can help me understanding some basics about these asterisk functions!?

--
Knud A. Müller