[asterisk-users] improved SMS?

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 20:22:07 CDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Russ McBride <russmcb at tsw.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Newbie question(s):
>
>  From what I can determine it sounds like the SMS messaging isn't as
> robust as it could be (?).  I'm wondering if there's active work on
> that right now or if it's more of an issue about PSTN carrier that
> one would be using who would be responsible for passing the messages
> into the PLMN.
>
> Background-- I'm looking into the possibility of setting up an
> emergency messaging system here at the University that would send out
> voice, SMS, and emails.  Any input relevant to that goal would
> probably be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

IMO the support for SMS in Asterisk is very poor. I think you should
not consider Asterisk as part of your SMS solution but instead either
talk with your preferred mobile carrier and see what sort of
arrangements you can work out with them, or look at one of the SMS
broker services. Another option could be using a GSM mobile phone
along with a serial cable and some software, but I'm sure if you are
doing this on a long-term basis it would be better to get a direct
connection with the carrier.