[asterisk-users] Redundancy / Failover

Norman Franke norman at myasd.com
Thu Jul 19 18:19:29 CDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 5:16 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

>> On 7/18/07, Norman Franke <Norman at myasd.com> wrote:
>>> I've been evaluating Asterisk for a while, and things seem to be
>>> going very well. The issue of redundancy and automatic fail-over is
>>> now on my mind. I searched the archives and googled for solutions,
>>> but didn't really come up with much.
>
> To add to what Edgar said, yes, use linux-ha.  It works nicely in
> combination with DRBD.  DRBD uses a dedicated network interface on
> each box with a crossover cable between the two.  It does a block
> level copy of the entire filesystem, so you have two machines that are
> identical.  The you use the linux-ha heartbeat to monitor the OS and
> asterisk.  If anything goes wrong, it can fail over to the second
> machine.
>
> This is pretty easy to set up with Analog lines.  With PRI's you'd
> need the fonebridge or the FSV-4PFS from http://www.failsafevoip.com

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the FSV-4PFS box. Can one switch it
remotely (e.g. over the network?)

All of my dynamic data is stored in a database (using Asterisk RT to
read queue and agent settings.) So, that eases part of the problem.

It would be nice to have a way to gracefully switch boxes, e.g. all
new calls to the backup box, wait until all calls on the primary
normally end, and then take server down for an upgrade.

It's impossible to tell what the Ranch Networks box does from their
web site. Anyone using it?

-Norman Franke
www.myasd.com