[asterisk-users] In Vancouver is it a local to call from 778 to 604, and vice versa?

Zed zed071 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:30:15 CDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Zeeshan Zakaria <zishanov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a 778 DID for vancouver, but don't know if it will be a local call if dialed 604 and vice versa.
>
> What are the different area codes in Vancouver and why its easier to get 778 DID than 604?

Answer to the first part is YES. 778 is an overlay area code on 604.
They cover the same area. In Canada, www.cnac.ca is the definitive
numbering resource.

For the second one, the 604 was running out of numbers (again - it had
already split to 250/604 with Vancouver keeping 604 and the rest of
the province moving to 250) and the 778 was introduced as an overlay
to both 604 and 250, primarily for wireless services. That means for
anyone other than TELUS (the ILEC in BC), the 778 area code is a lot
easier to get a number assigned. Most new numbers in the 604 will be
assigned to 778 by default unless the company is big enough and
requests a 604.