[asterisk-users] what codecs for LAN

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Wed Jul 18 09:28:27 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 07:12 -0700, satish patel wrote:
>                 I have one more question about codec what codec i use
> for LAN setup G.729 or Alaw which is best for LAN setup caz some
> people told me G.729  is use for wan link not for lan caz it is cost
> effective so can anyone suggest me best codec for asterisk and SIP
> phone

If you've got lots of bandwidth (such as on a local LAN), alaw is
probably better.  For situations where bandwidth is limited, a codec
with good compression such as G.729 is probably better, but it takes
quite a bit more CPU power to transcode to/from G.729.  (Of course, you
could always buy a Digium TC400B transcoder card to offload the
transcoding.)

Another disadvantage of G.729 is that it's patent encumbered, and as
such requires a license to use (again, unless you buy the TC400B card).
Luckily, the licenses are quite inexpensive.

-Jared

--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager