[asterisk-users] Slow list

Anthony Francis anthonyf at rockynet.com
Tue Jul 17 10:39:15 CDT 2007

Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Anthony Francis wrote:

>> You have two servers in your MX records.
>> drdos.info.             60      IN      MX      10 smtp.drdos.info.
>> drdos.info.             60      IN      MX      5 drdos.info.
>>
>> The one weighted 10 refuses smtp connections, while it is the higher
>> weight it is the first one that was listed when I did the dig. SO there
>> stand s a large probability that the list server is trying that address
>> first.
>>

> It's the other way round.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record#MX_priority :
> "The MX record with the smallest preference number has the
> highest priority and is the first server to be tried."
>

> Regards,
>   Philipp Kempgen

Thank you! I was actually aware of that however, I had said it has the
higher weight meaning it will be used last, but you see not all email
systems are compliant with the rfc's and sometimes just use the first MX
record that comes up assuming the MX with the (highest priority/lowest
weight) will be listed first.

Thank you for your link though, I appreciate your taking the time to try
to educate fellow IT professionals.

Anthony