[asterisk-users] Corporate Feedback to OSS (was: Re: Mushtaq Ahmed is out of the office.)

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Mon Jul 16 21:16:45 CDT 2007

	Until they rip off your IP, or just use all the public contributions in
combination with their better funded proprietary operation, without
contributing anything themselves, or even admitting they're using the
tech that could use the corporate boost.

	FWIW, 3Com is not an "Asterisk vendor".

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 10:49 +1000, Paul Hales wrote:
> We have found that working WITH other Asterisk vendors is much more
> pleasant than working against them - especially when you all run into
> each other at a trade show.....<smile>
>
> PaulH
>

> On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 11:04 -0400, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 08:39 -0500,
> > asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:02:53 -0600
> > > From: Stephen Bosch <posting at vodacomm.ca>
> > > Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Mushtaq Ahmed is out of the office.
> > >         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>

> > > their

> > > The price of open source is that the commercial outfits are free to
> > > rip
> > > off ideas without paying for them.
> > >
> > > But hey -- competition is good, right?
> >
> > 	Competition is good, one benefit of OSS pressure on
> > commercial/proprietary competitors to improve their products which lead
> > investment.
> >
> > 	Cooperation is also good. Public knowledge that corporations are in the
> > community helps us know where to look for GPL software they secretly
> > use, or just how they get some valuable ideas from which they profit
> > (profit from us, usually). So it's easier to convince them to explicitly
> > feed back into the OSS. Either just user feedback, or actual investment
> > in testing, further development, or even GPL'ing their own proprietary
> > tech into the community.
> >
> > 	So now it's time that 3Com hears from us, and we hear back, that we're
> > all "coopeting" together. If they don't explicitly contribute soon, that
> > bad community attitude will be a clue for some examination of their
> > products for included GPL code and GPL violations, or just some bad
> > press for being merely "takers" with their $billion budgets.
> >

> > > -Stephen-

(C) Matthew Rubenstein