[asterisk-users] USB Modem with asterisk

Don Fanning don at 00100100.net
Thu Jul 12 11:46:06 CDT 2007

No.  A USB modem will *not* work as a FXO card.  You're thinking of the
X100P card which was a rebranded Intel modem.  These have been
discontinued by Digium and only third party suppliers still sell them.
But taking a normal modem and using it as a FXO will not work (most
modems do not pass audio information to the system bus).

Additionally, having multiple modems won't help you either.  You'll need
multiple cards with multiple FXO ports on them.  A better solution in
this case would be to get a TDM card and run it into your T-1 CSU/DSU
(or router).