[asterisk-users] List delays

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Wed Jul 11 07:47:44 CDT 2007

No, as I explained before with the reasons why, please don't post them
here. Send them DIRECTLY to the list admins.  It is 100% off topic to
keep discussing a list administration / mail delivery problem here.

List USERS can not help you.

Considering that the vast majority of users do not experience such
delays, and that it's HIGHLY unlikely that Digium maintains a list of
who to delay mail for, the problem is 99% likely to be something
wrong with the recipient's system. It could be DNS,  routing problems,
anti-spam mechanisms (greylisting, active sender verification, dspam,
SA, etc.) or timeouts caused by slow responses due to said anti-spam
mechanisms, etc.

Many people fail to realize that high-volume mail servers (especially
for large mailing lists) don't have long timeouts and therefore can't
tolerate slow recipient servers. It takes too many resources. Make sure
that you whitelist list mail at all phases of your "protection" systems.
Make sure you are NOT doing sender callouts, running every message
through spamassassin, greylistging, etc. for list mail.

Lastly, there is nothing Digium is going to be able to do if your DNS
servers are flakey, or route path is.

Headers just tell you that there is a delay. We already know this. Only
the sending AND receiving server logs can tell you WHY, and then you may
only know if the session was run in debugging mode.