[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Hardware Requirements

Josh mylist13 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 03:32:34 CDT 2007

Hello,

I would like to put 1 asterisk box in Country A and 1 asterisk box in Country B.

Let's assume :
- Asterisk box in country A = GWA
- Asterisk box in country B = GWB
- Calling party number (located in country A) = CgPNA
- Called party number (located in country B) = CdPNB
- Second Called party number (located in country B) = sCdPNB
- PSTN in country A = PSTNA
- PSTN in country B = PSTNB

The idea is:
The end user in country B will have 2 phone numbers : CdPNB and sCdPNB
CgPNA is dialling CdPNB through PSTNA.
The call will be intercepted by GWA.
GWA will process the call, will change the CdPNB to sCdPNB and direct it via
IP to GWB. If the quality of the call via IP is not really good, then I want
to redirect it through E1 lines via KPN which will be able to route the call
to GWB. GWB will then transmit the call through the PSTNB and will reach
sCdPNB.

First Scenario
--------------
GWA's requirements would be:
- 1 E1 port receiving the calls through PSTNA
- 1 E1 port connected to KPN to re-route the calls
- Asterisk? being able to map ~5000 CdPNB to sCdPNB
- Handling up to ~50 simultaneous calls
- Using G711, G.723.1 & G.729.a codec
- H323 and SIP compliant

GWB's requirements would be:
- 1 E1 port receiving the calls routed through KPN from GWA
- 5 E1 port connected to PSTNB
- Handling up to ~150 simultaneous calls
- Using G711, G.723.1 & G.729.a codec
- H323 and SIP compliant
- Asterisk managing the whole thing

Second Scenario
---------------
GWA's requirements would be:
- 5 E1 port receiving the calls through PSTNA
- 10 E1 port connected to KPN to re-route the calls
- Asterisk? being able to map ~50000 CdPNB to sCdPNB
- Handling up to 500 simultaneous calls
- Using G711, G.723.1 & G.729.a codec
- H323 and SIP compliant

GWB's requirements would be:
- 10 E1 port receiving the calls routed through KPN from GWA
- 50 E1 port connected to PSTNB
- Handling up to ~1500 simultaneous calls
- Using G711, G.723.1 & G.729.a codec
- H323 and SIP compliant
- Asterisk managing the whole thing

I was wondering whether Asterisk could handle each scenario and what kind of
hardware I would need to support each scenario.

I hope I've been clear enough in my explanations.
Looking forward for your comments/inputs.

Regards,
cam