[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Jul 8 14:29:44 CDT 2007

> Has anyone got a PBX with spare BRI ports in it?  Maybe that's a cheap way
> to get started.  We could just hook a box up to that and work out some of
> the early stage stuff.  I know that people with Polycom (and other)
> video/teleconferencing equipment often have BRI cards in their Nortel PBX or
> Avaya gear.

Well, I've got a "PBX" (Asterisk) with some "spare BRI ports" (the
previously described Adtran 550).  I have one port that is definitely
free.  I might have another that could be freed most of the time if
the cause was sufficient.  I have no BRI cards.  I do have some other
ISDN gadgets.  I'm willing to consider placing a small server at the
disposal of a developer or something like that, if it'll lead towards
better support, but what card and who provides it is up in the air (I
am probably not in sufficient need to justify footing the bill for a
several hundred dollar card, though I'd be fine popping for a $50
card).

If this was sufficiently useful and there was actually forward progress,
I might be willing to do more, like provide additional BRI ports on the
Adtran, or maybe even short term access to a real US BRI line, or even
fund a card or two.

... JG