[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Jul 5 18:16:34 CDT 2007

Quoting Stephen Bosch <posting at vodacomm.ca>:

> Jon Pounder wrote:
>> I have a bunch of old cisco stuff with BRI ports on it but it was
>> never meant for voice, just purely data, so I don't think its very
>> useful for this purpose, but some of the basic signalling could
>> probably be tested with it.
>>
>> is exploring some sort of back to back card setup worth looking into
>> without committing to a line ? Then at least if a pair of cards can
>> talk in the "new format" there is a better chance of them working on a
>> real line. This would also have the advantage of being able to see
>> both ends of the line for debugging purposes, or put the line in the
>> euro mode which should work out of the box just to make sure the
>> hardware setup is all valid before making changes.
>
> Maybe, but it will probably mean writing another driver just to provide
> telco-side signalling -- or is it the same on each end?
>
> What's the deal with PRI cards? Can you run those back-to-back?

t1 in general yes, not so sure about the isdn side of things, hardware
wise all you need is to cross the pairs, but not familiar enough with
signalling to know.

BRI isdn has been a while since I looked at the hardware aspect at
all, I think you can run them back to back similar to the PRI/t1 - the
raw line is not really BRI proper, its something else similar to the
hdsl used on t1's and the network terminator makes this into an s/t or
U interface, the s/t being a bus sort of setup where you can have more
than 2 devices present ( at this point is actually 2pr just like a t1
is) some cards though have the nt1's in them so you go right from raw
copper to card internals so not sure how that all works out. Like I
said its been a while since I touched this stuff first hand and I may
be forgetting something or may be mistaken on part of it.

> -Stephen-

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com