[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Jul 5 14:08:47 CDT 2007

Quoting Jeff Davis <asterisk at netsourceva.com>:

> Jon Pounder wrote:
>> I have a bunch of old cisco stuff with BRI ports on it but it was
>> never meant for voice, just purely data, so I don't think its very
>> useful for this purpose, but some of the basic signalling could
>> probably be tested with it.
>>
>> is exploring some sort of back to back card setup worth looking into
>> without committing to a line ? Then at least if a pair of cards can
>> talk in the "new format" there is a better chance of them working on a
>> real line. This would also have the advantage of being able to see
>> both ends of the line for debugging purposes, or put the line in the
>> euro mode which should work out of the box just to make sure the
>> hardware setup is all valid before making changes.
>

> I'm seeing ISDN phones on ebay for US $15-$40. Does anyone know if the
> line simulator and a phone would work. Then get a BRI line when there's
> a driver that looks like it works.

the signalling on the line simulator and phone would have to be
compatible - phone and card are going to have the same issues with
supporting the northamerican signalling.

probably depend mainly what country the hardware is being sold from
what the odds of working are.

> I saw another, although more expensive, line simulator at:
> http://vconsole.com/client/?page=simulators&p_id=7
>
> But it's current production and supported by the manufacturer.
>
> --
> Jeff Davis
> Netsource Consulting
> Richmond, VA

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com