[asterisk-users] Caller ID Spoofing to be banned in the USA

Rob Schall rschall at callone.net
Thu Jul 5 14:05:59 CDT 2007

Dovid B wrote:
> You are right but my concerns is the ITSP's may stop allowing it
> because they don't want to get in to trouble. They may request a list
> of all the DID's that I have and limit me setting my CID to the list
> that I gave them.

I doubt this will ever be an issue. The telco companies and certainly
not one for major changes, nor are they likely to enforce any laws and
put any time into something they aren't responsible for. My understand
of this new law is the punish those users who abuse the ability to set
the CID. If the government was really bored and wanted to waste a lot of
time and money in court, I guess they could try to take AT&T or
Broadwing to court, but my guess is they wouldn't get far. It isn't
their fault that a customer of theirs broke the law, and they haven't
(and probably won't) be required to keep people from breaking the law.
Just because you make and sell guns doesn't mean you can go after them
for using your guns and bullets to kill people. Ya know?

Long story short, unless the government has nothing else to go after,
I'd think you'll be perfectly fine. Like others have said on this
subject... Unless you do it to fool somebody and it has a mean spirit to
it, you should be in the clear. Masking a caller-id to be a cell phone
of an employee, etc, should be fine, as long as every one knows what is
going on.

Rob