[asterisk-users] Simple CDRs w/Asterisk/OpenSER.

Jaswinder Singh vicky.r at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:12:06 CDT 2007

Asterisk is poor with codec negotiation . It does not check if it can avoid
transcoding  by forcing codec available to both sides .. instead it will
read it's config file and will select first allowed codec that  is also
available on other device on each leg of call and happily transcode between
them .There was a patch on digium submitted by someone for asterisk 1.2.12
or so but it isnt updated from long time .  I am sure guys at digium are
aware about it and working on it . It's not  a bug  since asterisk is not a
sip proxy and tries to keep media path through it to offer its pbx features
but it would be a great feature nonetheless if implemented .