[asterisk-users] garbled calls

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Tue Jul 3 11:36:06 CDT 2007

Joe acquisto wrote:
> problem - occasional garbled calls, mostly remote users.
>
> T1 connected to PSTN, SIP over local LAN and internet to "remote users".  NAT at local firewall and at remotes. There is no traffic shaping in place, no QoS.   Most are Polycom phones, two Aastra's.
>
> Start with QoS on LAN switches?  No 2x4's please, start with 1x4's.
>
> joe a.

QoS does nothing for you unless you're using MPLS between connections
to a degree. (re-stated...)  If you're under the impression that you're
going to magically place some auto-qos of sorts and your traffic will be
magically shaped for high performance, you're semi-mistaken. While it
may shape traffic coming internally and how you handle that traffic,
unless you have a certain pre-defined service with your provider,
most providers won't/don't care how you "color your packets". So go
ahead and misinterpret QoS by marking DSCP, wasting hours thinking
you're going to save .03ms. Fire up Wireshark at the other end and
check your classifications and I can bet you lunch for a year that
most providers will re-classify or ignore your markings.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
echo infiltrated.net|sed 's/^/sil@/g'

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." -- Plato