[asterisk-users] "Random" all circuits busy now message

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon Jul 2 12:50:18 CDT 2007

jan.sarin at securia.se wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have quite a large setup working just fine most of the time. We have
> 60 outgoing lines on PRI and we never use all of these lines. But
> sometimes we get the "all circuits busy now" message, seemingly random.
>
> Sometimes we get it before the call even goes through to PSTN. Sometimes
> after 5 or 6 rings etc.
>
> It seems that the carrier is signalling something and asterisk always
> interprets this as "all circuits busy now" whilst a old-fashioned
> exchange might say "busy" or "wrong number" or "hangup" etc.
>
> What might cause asterisk to handle signals like this?

Asterisk does not play these messages by default.  Either you have
inband signaling set for your PRI or you have set up asterisk to play
these messages.

When Dial exits it sets HANGUPCAUSE and DIALSTATUS.  HANGUPCAUSE
contains the Q.931 PRI disconnect cause code.  Your dialplan then must
decide what to do based on this causecode.

I use macros that I wrote to retry the call if the hangupcause is not
one of the common, expected hangup causes like busy or normal hangup.