[asterisk-users] Creating a Voicemail ...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Jul 1 12:52:53 CDT 2007

I want to be able to take an existing pre-recorded audio file, and dump it
into an extensions voicemail box.

My application is that someone/thing has dialled an extension which has
triggered an event - lets say it's turned a lightbulb on via a System call
in the dialplan, and I then want to send the owner a voicemail message
(pre-recorded) which says "Lightbulb is ON".

Now, I can do this by simply moving the file into the correct voicemail
INBOX spool area, with the correct sequence number and a .txt file to go
with it and it will "magically" appear, but I am guessing here that I
might run the risk of a sequence number clash, or some other locking issue
if asterisk was writing a valid voicemail message from a caller at the
same time.

So what I want is something like:

   exten => action,n,VoiceMailStore (mailbox at context,filename)

but it doesn't exist, so before I go and look into writing it, has anyone
done anything similar to this before?

Cheers,

Gordon