[asterisk-users] Dialplan programming vs. AGI vs. ???

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Wed Jan 31 08:38:14 MST 2007

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Just a general question on dialplan programming... I've implemented a
> fairly full-featured system using dialplan code only. I've not used any
> AGI for it, yet it ticks all the boxes I want it to tick (diverts,
> follow-me, voicemail, dnd, outdialing restrictions, simple
> auto-attendant, and numerous "star codes" to control it all) This is all
> aimed at the small/medium office PBX type application.
>
> But I'm curious as to the approach others use. Is doing dialplan coding
> in an AGI more efficient, or do people just do it that way because it's
> easier than learning dialplan code? Or are there some things that people
> think they can't do any other way?
>
> So I'm just after some ideas, really, possibly to work out if it's worth
> my while going down the AGI route for future projects, or not!?!
>
> Any feedback is most welcome!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordon

I've only been using Asterisk for a short while, but have been
programming for about 10 years so AEL appeals to me.  Steve Murphy has
done an outstanding job on AEL2.

But IMO it all depends on the job at hand.  For instance, I wanted to be
able to access FirebirdSQL databases from the dialplan and the only
viable way was through AGI.

My personal thought (and practice) has been:

1. If it's dialplan specific (Dial(),Playback(), etc) then Asterisk
script, preferably AEL2.

2. Even if it's dialplan specific, but prone to require any appreciable
resources, off load it to an AGI.

3. If it's not dialplan specific (FirebirdSQL access, SOAP calls, etc)
then definitely off load it to AGI.

Remember there is also FastAGI which allows us to scale a system by off
situation requires it.

Personally, I'm glad that there is so many different ways to interact
with Asterisk.  Nice having a swiss army knife ;)

--

Warm Regards,

Lee