[asterisk-users] Dialplan programming vs. AGI vs. ???

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Jan 30 17:20:11 MST 2007

Just a general question on dialplan programming... I've implemented a
fairly full-featured system using dialplan code only. I've not used any
AGI for it, yet it ticks all the boxes I want it to tick (diverts,
follow-me, voicemail, dnd, outdialing restrictions, simple auto-attendant,
and numerous "star codes" to control it all) This is all aimed at the
small/medium office PBX type application.

But I'm curious as to the approach others use. Is doing dialplan coding in
an AGI more efficient, or do people just do it that way because it's
easier than learning dialplan code? Or are there some things that people
think they can't do any other way?

So I'm just after some ideas, really, possibly to work out if it's worth
my while going down the AGI route for future projects, or not!?!

Any feedback is most welcome!

Cheers,

Gordon