[asterisk-users] SIP + short numbers + name of customer

Zoilo Gomez zoilo at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 29 08:30:55 MST 2007

We are using a couple of Grandstream GXP2000 SIP-phones with Asterisk.

In our dial-plan, we have implemented a list of short numbers in
extensions.conf, like:
exten => 1234,1,Dial(Zap/0987654321)

So when I pickup the SIP-phone, and I dial 1234, the system dials
0987654321 and connects me to that customer. Unfortunately I cannot see
the name of the customer, and I do not know if perhaps I punched the
wrong short number.

Is there a way to have Asterisk print the name of the customer on the
SIP-phone display, instead of "1234"? Maybe the implementation (see
above) is not optimal, and there is better way to deal with these short
numbers?

The same question for incoming calls: it would be great to have Asterisk
print the name of the customer on the display when a call comes in,
instead of his phone number 0987654321.

Z.