[asterisk-users] Cordless SIP Phones

John Marvin jm-asterisk at themarvins.org
Mon Jan 29 01:17:14 MST 2007

Edward Halman wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good cordless user-configurable SIP hardphone
> that is readily available in the states and doesn’t cost $300?  There
> seem to be a plethora of decent and affordable corded phones (like from
> Grandstream) but the search for a cordless unit seems elusive.  I
> purchased a vtech 8100 online only to discover after receiving it that
> it is locked to vonage service.

It depends on the features you are looking for. The Aastra probably has
the best support of VOIP features on the handset. The additional
handsets are a little pricey ($99), and only four are supported (which
is probably more than enough in most cases).

If you don't care about VOIP features in the handset, the Uniden UIP1868
might be a good option. This can be purchased in an unlocked version
from various online voip equipment sellers (e.g. www.voipsupply.com).
The advantage of the Uniden set is that it uses the same handsets as
their 5.8 Ghz cordless POTS phones, which means that you have a variety
of handsets you can use (including a waterproof/submersible handset),
and they are cheaper. The UIP1868 also supports up to 10 handsets
(probably way more than you want, but the feature might be useful in
some situations). There's also a much better chance you can buy a new or
replacement handset a couple of years down the road.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, you might consider just using an
FXS adapter and using an analog cordless phone system. This is what I am
currently doing (although I am seriously considering buying the
UIP1868). The main problem I have with this solution is the delays
introduced by caller id, especially if you want distinctive rings based
on the caller. With an analog system asterisk has to send the caller id
between the first and second ring. Then, at least with Uniden phones the
handsets won't ring at all until the caller id has been received (if
you've enabled the distinctive ringing feature). In my house the
cordless phone typically doesn't start ringing until the SIP phones have
already rung twice.

One final note. It is possible to unlock the vtech 8100. Do a google
search for cyt35. CYT is a program that was written to unlock various TI
AR7 based devices, and it is known to work with the vtech 8100. I have
no experience with this myself, but you might want to look into it if
you still have the vtech 8100, and you are not planning on using it with
Vonage.

John